
President Trump confirmed this week what the diplomatic community had already begun to suspect and what the Cuban communist government had every reason to fear: the United States has a significant covert presence on the island, and the CIA is in Havana with a direct message from the commander in chief.
The president’s words were brief, unambiguous, and delivered with the casual confidence of a man who has already decided how this ends.
“We have a lot of people in Cuba,” Trump said.
“We have the CIA there.”
Trump’s public confirmation of CIA and Secretary of State Marco Rubio’s presence on Cuban soil came alongside a declaration that has electrified the Cuban exile community and alarmed Havana:
“We’re freeing up Cuba.”
He added that to a lot of people, what is happening with Cuba is going to be one of the most important moments they have seen, and that people have been looking for this moment for 65 years.
Sixty-five years of communist misery, 65 years of political prisoners and firing squads and chronic poverty in a country 90 miles from the American coast, and the administration that has made regime change a stated national objective has now placed its top intelligence official on Cuban soil to deliver the message in person.
CIA Director John Ratcliffe traveled to Cuba on May 14 and bluntly warned officials there against engaging in hostilities.
He also urged them to scrap their totalitarian government to end crippling U.S. sanctions.
A CIA official described the message plainly:
“Director Ratcliffe made clear that Cuba can no longer serve as a platform for adversaries to advance hostile agendas in our hemisphere.”
That is not the careful diplomatic language of a State Department that wants to preserve relationship options.
It is the language of an administration that has made a strategic decision and is delivering the terms.
The Air Force Boeing C-40B Clipper jet carrying Ratcliffe and his delegation touched down at Jose Marti International Airport in Havana on May 14, the “United States of America” emblazoned on its fuselage.
Ratcliffe and his team sat down with the leadership of Cuba’s intelligence community, as well as Raul Guillermo Rodriguez Castro, the grandson of Raul Castro, who has been conducting back-channel talks with Secretary of State Marco Rubio’s office since February.
The presence of a Castro grandson at the table is a detail that deserves attention.
It suggests that even within the regime’s inner circle, there are individuals who understand that the political situation is deteriorating to the point where some form of accommodation with the United States may be necessary for the regime’s survival.
The Trump administration sees Cuba as a threat because of developments in drone warfare and the presence of Iranian military advisers in Havana.
A senior U.S. official explained the concern:
“When we think about those types of technologies being that close, and a range of bad actors from terror groups to drug cartels to Iranians to the Russians, it’s concerning.”
Cuba at this moment is not merely an ideological adversary.
It is a staging ground for Iranian advisers, a facility for Russian and Chinese signals intelligence collection, a training ground for soldiers deployed to fight in Ukraine on behalf of Putin’s war machine, and a geographic point 90 miles from the American mainland from which advanced drone technology could be deployed against the continental United States.
Russia has paid Cuba’s government an estimated $25,000 for each Cuban soldier deployed in Ukraine.
U.S. officials have noted that those soldiers are learning about Iranian tactics in the field.
“They’re part of the Putin meat grinder. They’re learning about Iranian tactics. It’s something we have to plan for,” a senior U.S. official said.
Cuba is not a neutral poor country living under American embargo.
It is an active participant in the Russian war effort against Ukraine, a training ground for the exchange of Iranian and Russian military doctrine, and a willing platform for adversary intelligence operations directed at the United States.
The Trump administration’s decision to treat it as a national security threat rather than a humanitarian case is a realistic assessment of what Cuba actually is.
The economic context of the Ratcliffe visit is as important as the strategic one.
On May 1, Trump signed a new executive order broadening restrictions on commercial interactions with Cuban entities and applying secondary sanctions to foreign businesses that engage with blocked Cuban agencies and officials.
On May 7, Secretary Rubio designated the Cuban military corporation GAESA, which administers much of the Cuban economy, as a blocked entity.
The new secondary sanctions immediately forced the Canadian mining giant Sherritt International to announce that it would close its mining operations on the island and request the Cuban government buy out its stake for $277 million.
The economic pressure campaign is designed to remove the last sources of hard currency keeping the regime functional.
When those sources are eliminated, the regime’s ability to pay its security forces, maintain its surveillance apparatus, and sustain the basic patronage networks that hold the political system together collapses.
Former CIA operative and Center for Security Policy analyst J. Michael Waller has stated that the Cuban Communist Party is “doomed” and that Trump and Secretary Rubio are committed to seeing this through.
Waller proposed that the administration adopt a high-impact strategy:
“I believe that if we can take control of the regime, make it work for us, and then dismantle it piece by piece, it would be a fantastic step forward.”
That is the framework of an administration that is not looking for a negotiated accommodation with the Castro dynasty but a managed dismantlement of the communist state from within.
Whether that ambitious goal is achievable in the timeframe the administration envisions is debated among Cuba analysts, but the direction of travel is unmistakable.
The economic indicators on the island confirm that the regime is closer to collapse than at any point since the Soviet subsidy ended in 1991.
Cuba’s GDP declined by more than 4 percent in 2025.
Sugar production fell to 150,000 tons, a historic low for a country that was once one of the world’s largest sugar exporters.
Fuel reserves recently hit zero, triggering massive blackouts that have left Havana and other major cities without power for extended periods and driven street protests of a scale the regime has not seen in years.
Raul Castro has postponed the party congress that was scheduled for April 2026, acknowledging what the party itself has described as an existential crisis.
The indictment of Raul Castro and five regime co-defendants, unsealed by the Trump Justice Department, charges them with the 1996 shoot-down of Brothers to the Rescue aircraft, in which four American citizens were killed.
Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche framed the prosecution with the kind of moral clarity that the Cuban exile community has waited decades to hear:
“For the first time in nearly 70 years, senior leadership of the Cuban regime has been charged in the United States for alleged acts of violence resulting in the deaths of American citizens. President Trump and this Justice Department are committed to restoring a simple principle: if you kill Americans, we will pursue you. No matter who you are. No matter what title you hold.”
Charging a sitting foreign communist leader with the murder of American citizens while simultaneously deploying the CIA director to that leader’s capital is a level of geopolitical aggression that previous administrations were unwilling to contemplate.
The back-channel diplomacy that Rubio’s office has been conducting with Raul Castro’s grandson since February suggests that the administration is leaving a door open for some form of negotiated transition.
Trump himself said plainly of the Cuban regime:
“They will make a deal, or we will do it anyway.”
The “or we will do it anyway” portion of that statement is not a rhetorical flourish.
It is the organizing principle of the entire Cuba policy, backed by CIA operatives on the island, secondary sanctions dismantling the regime’s economic base, federal indictments against its leadership, and a military drone threat assessment that treats Cuban territory as a potential adversary staging area.
The Cuban exile community in the United States, which for 65 years has been told by successive American administrations that liberation was coming and then watched it not come, has greeted the Trump administration’s posture toward Havana with a mixture of cautious hope and hard-won skepticism.
The Kennedy administration launched the Bay of Pigs.
The Carter administration normalized relations.
The Obama administration sent Air Force One to Havana and shook Raul Castro’s hand.
The exile community has seen American presidents cycle through different approaches and Cuba has remained communist throughout.
What is different now, they argue, is the combination of economic desperation on the island, the administration’s willingness to use every instrument of national power, and the presence of American intelligence on Cuban soil with an explicit message about what the alternative to change looks like.
Whether Ratcliffe’s visit and Trump’s confirmation of CIA presence on the island represent the opening moves of a genuinely historic transformation or another chapter in the long history of American pressure that falls short of its objective is a question that only time will answer.
The regime has proven extraordinarily resilient across six decades and more than a dozen American presidents.
It has survived the Bay of Pigs, the embargo, the collapse of Soviet subsidies, the brief Obama thaw and its reversal, and successive waves of internal dissent that it crushed with the tools of a totalitarian police state.
What it has not previously faced is an American president willing to confirm publicly that the CIA is on its soil, a former CIA operative calling its collapse imminent, a CIA director delivering ultimatums in its capital, secondary sanctions targeting its last remaining hard currency sources, federal criminal indictments against its leadership, and an explicit administration statement that regime change is a U.S. national objective to be achieved by the end of the year.
That combination is qualitatively different from anything that has come before, and the regime’s own postponed party congress, with its acknowledgment of an existential crisis, suggests the people running Cuba know it.
The Cuban people, who have been waiting 65 years for the moment Trump says is coming, deserve better than another American political cycle that talks about liberation and delivers something short of it.