
The sentencing of Aimee Bock to 41.5 years in federal prison on Thursday morning was barely an hour old when the Trump administration assembled a second press conference seven floors below the sentencing courtroom to tell Minnesota and the rest of the country that the accountability project has not concluded. It has expanded.
Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche, Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr., and Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Administrator Mehmet Oz stood before cameras in downtown Minneapolis to announce 15 new federal indictments charging defendants with $90 million in Medicaid fraud targeting seven separate state-managed programs that prosecutors said had been treated as a personal piggy bank by a network of fraudsters who operated in plain sight while a state government failed to stop them.
Assistant Attorney General Colin McDonald, who runs the DOJ’s National Fraud Enforcement Division, did not reach for euphemism when describing what investigators had found. “The fraud here in Minnesota is shocking,” he said.
“Our cases today involve seven different state-managed Medicaid programs that have been systematically pilfered by fraudsters who treated Minnesota-run programs as their personal piggy bank. This is not the end of the beginning of our work in Minnesota. This is the beginning of our work in Minnesota.”
That final sentence should be read as slowly and carefully as it was delivered. The federal government is not closing the Minnesota file. It is announcing the opening of a new and larger chapter.
The seven programs at the center of Thursday’s indictments include Minnesota’s Housing Stabilization Services program, its autism treatment program, the Integrated Community Support program, the Individualized Home Supports program, and several others designed to serve some of the most vulnerable residents in the state.
What the defendants allegedly did to those programs follows a pattern that McDonald said repeats itself across all the cases: bill the state for services that were never provided, collect the reimbursement, and spend the proceeds on luxury vehicles, Rolex watches, jewelry, real estate holdings, and in several cases transfers of funds overseas.
The Housing Stabilization Services program provides a case study in what unchecked fraud does to a public program over time. The program was designed to help seniors and people with disabilities find stable housing.
Its budget exploded from $2.5 million to $104 million between its inception and 2024, a forty-fold expansion that attracted fraudulent providers the way a food source attracts opportunists. By the time the fraud was identified and the program was shut down, all of its funds had been completely exhausted.
A program created to help the most vulnerable find stable homes was bankrupted by the people who claimed to be providing that service. McDonald noted that while the fraud drained the program to zero, legitimate recipients went unserved.
The autism fraud component of Thursday’s indictments is the case that drew Secretary Kennedy’s most pointed comments.
Kennedy, who has made the integrity of autism-related medical programs a specific priority of his tenure at HHS, described what investigators found as brazen: schemes that billed taxpayers for nonexistent services, fraudulent diagnoses, and fake care while criminals enriched themselves at public expense.
He declared Thursday’s bust the largest autism fraud case in American history, a distinction that speaks not to the ambition of the investigators but to the scale of what the fraudsters were willing to exploit.
The autism fraud worked through a kickback model. Two of the defendants are accused of paying kickbacks to families who brought their children to the fraudulent clinics, which then billed Medicaid for services that were not provided or were provided by therapists who were not actually employed at the clinics.
In one of the cases, the clinics received approximately $21 million in Medicaid reimbursements for services that investigators say were largely or entirely fictional. The money followed a familiar path: real estate, luxury cars, jewelry, and overseas transfers, none of it connected to the care of children with autism.
Perhaps the most morally devastating detail in Thursday’s announcement was the case of a man who was supposed to receive around-the-clock care under one of the defrauded programs.
McDonald described it without softening: the man was supposed to be served continuously; he was not served at all, and he died. A human being whose survival depended on the care that a Medicaid program was paying for received nothing, because the people collecting the reimbursement had decided to pocket the money instead. That death is not a statistic.
It is the human cost of a culture of fraud made concrete in the most direct and irreversible way possible.
Dr. Mehmet Oz, appearing at the press conference in his capacity as CMS Administrator, framed the stakes of Medicaid fraud in terms that should resonate with anyone who cares about the programs themselves rather than merely the politics surrounding them: “Medicaid is the fundamental payer of last resort for our most needy, most vulnerable citizens, and when we’re unable to keep these programs alive because of fraudsters, it hurts all of us deeply.”
That statement deserves emphasis because it cuts against a political narrative that frames fraud enforcement as an attack on the programs being defrauded.
The opposite is true. Every dollar that a fraudulent provider extracts from a Medicaid program is a dollar that is not available for the people the program was designed to serve. Fraud enforcement protects the programs. Tolerance of fraud destroys them.
One of the defendants made the news cycle in a way that his indictment alone could not have managed. Muhammad Omar, facing federal fraud charges, jumped from a fourth-story balcony during an arrest attempt by federal agents and fled. He remains at large.
The willingness to leap from a fourth-floor apartment rather than face federal fraud charges says something about the defendant’s understanding of what the evidence against him looks like, and federal authorities have made clear they are pursuing him actively.
The speed at which the new indictments were produced has been described by officials as unprecedented, a word that was used deliberately and that reflects the administration’s explicit decision to treat Medicaid fraud as an enforcement priority rather than a bureaucratic inevitability.
The DOJ’s National Fraud Enforcement Division, created this year, has brought 450 fraud enforcement actions across the country since April 1, representing billions in taxpayer dollars recovered or protected.
The division’s creation and the expansion of the Midwest Healthcare Strike Force with additional prosecutors in Minnesota are structural investments in the proposition that fraud can be meaningfully deterred if the government treats it as a serious criminal problem.
The scale of program budget expansion in Minnesota during the pandemic years created conditions for fraud that federal investigators are still fully mapping.
One Medicaid-linked program grew from $600,000 in annual taxpayer payouts to approximately $430 million within five years, a 700-fold expansion that no oversight apparatus was designed to manage and that the Minnesota state government, under the Walz administration, did not effectively monitor.
When a program’s budget grows by that factor in that timeframe, the increase in fraudulent claims is not surprising. It is predictable. The question for Minnesota voters is why the predictable did not produce a proportionate enforcement response until the federal government arrived with prosecutors, subpoenas, and a national framework for addressing what the state apparatus had failed to contain.
The political connection to the Walz administration is one that the Trump administration has drawn explicitly and repeatedly.
The president has cited the Minnesota fraud scandal as a direct argument for his immigration enforcement policies, noting that several of the organizations involved in both the Feeding Our Future scheme and the new Medicaid indictments are connected to the Somali-American community in the Twin Cities, a community that settled in Minnesota in significant numbers during the refugee resettlement programs that expanded dramatically under successive administrations.
That connection is a political argument being made by the administration, and it deserves the same scrutiny that any political argument deserves, including the scrutiny that asks whether the demographic observation about specific defendants is being used responsibly or being weaponized as a generalization against an entire community.
What is not arguable, because it is documented in federal indictments, is that the specific defendants charged defrauded specific programs of specific amounts of money intended for specific vulnerable people. The Housing Stabilization program went bankrupt. The autism program was billed for therapists who did not exist.
A man who needed around-the-clock care died without receiving it. Those facts belong to the individuals who committed them, and the Justice Department is holding those individuals accountable without reference to any community they belong to.
That is what federal fraud enforcement is supposed to look like.
The creation of a new national Medicaid Strike Force team, announced Thursday alongside the Minnesota indictments, signals that the administration views what happened in Minnesota not as a state-specific anomaly but as a pattern that exists in other states where similar conditions of rapid program expansion and inadequate oversight created similar opportunities for fraud. Acting Attorney General Blanche said plainly that additional enforcement actions are expected across the country.
The question for other states is whether they will take that warning seriously and move to identify and address their own vulnerabilities before the federal government arrives to do it for them.
For the American taxpayers whose money was stolen from programs designed to house the disabled, treat autistic children, and care for the most vulnerable residents of one of the wealthier states in the nation, Thursday’s indictments represent a partial accounting.
Partial because $90 million in new charges, coming on top of the $250 million Feeding Our Future scheme, represents only what has been specifically charged. McDonald was explicit that Thursday’s announcement was the beginning, not the end, of the federal investigation into Minnesota’s social welfare programs.
How much more remains to be found is a question that investigators are actively pursuing, and the answer may reshape the political landscape in a state whose Democratic governor just left office for a failed vice presidential campaign while this fraud was brewing on his watch.
The indictments were announced, fittingly, on the same morning that Aimee Bock received her 41.5-year sentence. The symbolic weight of those two events on the same day in the same city was not lost on the federal officials who orchestrated Thursday’s proceedings.
The message was deliberate and direct: one chapter of Minnesota fraud has been sentenced. Another chapter has just been charged. And the government is not finished counting.