Breaking
New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani’s administration did not send a representative to a New York City Council hearing on August 18 examining the rocky rollout of the city’s new pied-à-terre tax, instead submitting only written testimony. A spokesperson’s office said doing so was prudent given the ongoing litigation tied to the tax. The three-hour hearing went ahead without them, with roughly 30 homeowners, co-op representatives, and real estate professionals testifying about confusion the rollout has caused.
Council members did not hide their frustration. Councilmember Frank Morano said plainly that when the public finally gets a hearing to demand answers, the administration won’t even show up. Councilmember Gale Brewer, whose office compiled more than ten pages of resident questions read into the record, noted the written testimony from City Hall hadn’t even been reviewed by the time the hearing began, telling colleagues, we haven’t seen it yet.
Details & Background
The pied-à-terre tax applies to unoccupied second homes valued at $5 million or more, as well as co-ops and condominiums valued at $1 million or above. As part of the rollout, the city published a searchable database listing nearly one million property addresses and their valuations, intended to help residents determine whether they might owe the tax. Homeowners and real estate professionals who testified said the data used to identify taxable properties is incomplete and in some cases misleading, and that basic questions about deadlines, legal status, and how valuations were calculated remain unresolved months into the rollout.
The tax has already faced a legal challenge. A homeowner lawsuit led to a temporary restraining order earlier this year, which has since been lifted, allowing the tax to remain in effect while litigation continues. It is that ongoing litigation the mayor’s office cited as its reason for avoiding in-person testimony this week, even as residents said the publication of the property database has left them fearing unwanted scrutiny.
Reactions
Morano was the hearing’s sharpest critic, arguing that a policy affecting hundreds of thousands of property owners deserves a City Hall official willing to answer for it directly rather than in writing. Other council members echoed the complaint that written testimony does not allow for real questioning, particularly on a rollout residents say has been marked by confusion from the start.
Brewer struck a more measured tone but was no less pointed about the substance, citing specific examples of exemption amounts — one was $43,000 and the other was $82,000 — that she said illustrated how unclear the rules remain for ordinary homeowners. She told the hearing that answers would eventually come, saying we will get resolution, not tomorrow, but we will get the airing of the issues, even as she acknowledged the administration had not yet made that possible.
Why This Matters to You
Whatever the merits of taxing high-value second homes, a City Hall that publishes a database of nearly a million properties and then won’t send anyone to answer questions about it in person is choosing to leave residents without clear answers about their own tax exposure. For homeowners caught up in a list they may not understand, that’s not an abstract process complaint — it’s the difference between knowing what they owe and guessing.
The hearing is also a preview of how this administration handles oversight more broadly: written statements instead of live answers, citing litigation as the reason. Council members from both parties made clear they don’t consider that sufficient, and with the tax still facing active legal challenges, this fight over transparency is unlikely to be resolved anytime soon. The dispute is unfolding as similar pied-à-terre and mansion-tax style measures gain attention in other high-cost cities, making Mamdani’s rollout an early test case other mayors are said to be watching closely.
1 Comment
Pingback: MAGA Daily News – August 20, 2026 – Patriot Pivot